Re: moving /gnu to different disk

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: moving /gnu to different disk
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:12:50 +0100

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 01:39:02PM -0800, carl hansen wrote:
>> Rather than trying the following, I thought, "Why not ask first?"
>>
>> Due to the sizes of various hard disks in my machine, I want to move /gnu
>> to /directoryondifferentdisk/gnu
>> and then do
>> mount --bind /directoryondifferentdisk/gnu /gnu
>>
>> (I have already formed a superstition that
>> ln -s /directoryondifferentdisk/gnu /gnu
>> won't work)
>>
>> I see a vast collection of hard links in /gnu/store/.links...
>>
>> I forsee problems when copying /gnu, not reproducing hard links
>> but reproducing the data.
>
> You could try moving the data with `rsync --hard-links`.

In fact you can also omit /gnu/store/.links when copying.  Nothing is
lost by doing so.  This directory simply contains a hash-to-file mapping
used by the deduplication mechanism.

However, make sure do copy /var/guix in addition to /gnu/store!
/var/guix/db/db.sqlite is the database containing meta-data for
/gnu/store, so things will break badly if it’s missing or out-of-sync.

HTH,
Ludo’.