Re: Design decision behind inputs/native-inputs/propagated-inputs

From: Steven Allen
Subject: Re: Design decision behind inputs/native-inputs/propagated-inputs
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 11:59:32 -0500

Sorry to bug you again but I was going through some reports on the bug
tracker and came across https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20765:

> Python .egg files must not be compressed
> Because it is compressed, the daemon’s conservative scanning fails to
> see what store items it refers to; in particular Ricardo noted that
> on his machine, python-pillow refers to a non-existent store item for
> OpenJPEG.

This kind of behavior is what initially gave me the impression that
runtime dependencies were auto detected.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here or point me to the relevant
documentation? Specifically, why does the daemon (assuming guix-daemon)
need to see what store items the package refers to?

--
Steven Allen
((Do Not Email <address@hidden>))