Re: Running guix on nixos

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Running guix on nixos
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 21:48:54 +0100

Saluton!

Jeff Mickey <address@hidden> skribis:

> * Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> [2016-01-22 04:57]:
>> I think there’s an impurity leading the build system to use lib64/
>> instead of lib/.  Compare with what we get with “real” Guix:

>> $ ls $(guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement) libstdc++)')
>> include/  lib/  share/
>>
>> Could it be that the above libstdc++ was built before you had enabled
>> chroot builds?  Are you sure the chroot doesn’t contain /bin or anything
>> like that?
>
> $ ls $(guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement) libstdc++)')
> include  lib  lib64  share
>
> Aha! So I ran nix-garbage-collect (which deleted all the things),
> rebuilt andd.... still the same :(

It would be interesting (on an intellectual level ;-)) to find out what
piece of libstdc++’s build system is responsible for choosing lib/
vs. lib64/ and what makes it choose something different.  I’m guessing
there’s necessarily an impurity in the build environment that explains
this.

Could you post the build log of this libstdc++ somewhere?  (Use ‘guix
build --log-file -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement) libstdc++)'’.)
Then we can compare it to
<http://hydra.gnu.org/log/3wicw2xrq38hpn4x28lcqsvbyqzrmwka-libstdc++-4.9.3>.

> What I would like as an end result is my host to be reproducible from a
> `nixos-rebuild switch` command line, and then user's have access to
> guix's wonderfulness. I'm realizing now also that if guix build's all of
> it's own stuff anyways, then sharing the same daemon is just a win for
> simplicity of runtime (only one daemon), but not much simplicity on disk
> (still two profiles everywhere, almost an entirely separate graph on
> disk).

Yes, you would be using two completely separate distros anyway.  The
advantages of using a single store, though, is that you would get
deduplication across the two distros, and running ‘guix gc’ or
‘nix-collect-garbage’ would affect the whole store.

Ludo’.