Questions about "guix pull"

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Questions about "guix pull"
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 00:50:01 -0800

Hi,

I have read the Info node "(guix) Invoking guix pull", but it doesn't
seem to answer the following questions:

- Who is allowed to run "guix pull"? Only root? Any user?

- After a successful "guix pull", are the new guix tools and package
  definitions visible to everyone, regardless of who ran the command?

- Are there any best practices, or pitfalls to avoid, when using "guix
  pull"?

- I understand that some people don't use "guix pull" and instead just
  run guix from a local git checkout. Should the manual also explain why
  you might want to do that and how it can be done?

I'm happy to submit a patch to improve this Info node, but I need to
understand "guix pull" first.

Thank you,
Chris