Re: Typing on GuixSD in languages other than English

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: Typing on GuixSD in languages other than English
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 09:36:30 -0500

On 2016-04-04 00:37, Chris Marusich wrote:
Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> writes:

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

The attached patches add anthy and ibus-anthy.  They build OK.
However,
Japanese input is not yet working for me.  In fact, ibus itself does
not
seem to be working at all.

How can I verify that ibus is working on its own?  I've tried
installing
ibus by itself into my profile. When I do this, I can run ibus-setup,
and I see a "Japanese" language input option.  This is true even when
anthy and ibus-anthy are not installed, which surprised me. I had
expected to find no Japanese language input options at all in
ibus-setup
when anthy and ibus-anthy are not installed.

In GNOME, there is no ibus menu visible anywhere on my screen, so it is unclear whether ibus is actually working. When I open Gedit and press
<Super>+Space, my input method does not seem to change.  According to
ibus-setup, this hotkey should change my input method.  However, it
seems like ibus is just not working at all.

FWIW, this is what I do on Debian 8 (with GNOME SHELL):

- Install ibus, ibus-anthy (or ibus-mozc).
- Restart the system.
- Go to *System settings → Region & Language*.
- Add *Japanese (Anthy)* in Input method.

"Japanese (Anthy)" does not show up as an input method.  There are a
variety of entries (which are present regardless of whether ibus, anthy,
or ibus-anthy are installed), and none of them mention "Anthy".

Hmm, then it seems there is something missing. I just follow the steps in a different Debian machine and this is what you should see:

https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/gnome-shell-language-region-input-source-1.png
https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/gnome-shell-language-region-input-source-2.png

After this, you should see the language icon in the top-right corner
of the desktop. For example, if your current keyboard layout is
English, you'll see the *en* language code with a little triangle to
the right. Click there or use Super+Space to alternate between
languages.

When I select one of the Japanese language input methods via the above
method (e.g., the one that's just called "Japanese"), I do in fact see a
little icon in the upper right that I can toggle between "en" and "ja"
using <Super>+Space.  However, this just seems to shuffle around the
keymap for my keyboard.  It does not actually let me input any kana or
convert anything into kanji.

Yeah, something is not working well then. When you follow the steps above, and use Super+Space, the language indicator should eventually change to an A in hiragana. Then you should just be able to start writing Japanese as in this screenshot:

https://multimedialib.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/gnome-shell-japanese-anthy.png

And thank you very mucho for the patches, I'm going to need Anthy when
I install GuixSD :)

I hope we can get it working!  Thank you for your assistance.

Another thing to have into account when writing with non-roman alphabets using ibus is that you need to install ibus modules/bridges for the different GUI toolkits used by the applications you utilize. So you need ibus-gtk, ibus-qt, etc.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo