Re: Keyboard layout

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Keyboard layout
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 23:01:43 +0300

Thierry Micoud (2016-04-10 17:38 +0300) wrote:

> I've installed guixsd 0.10. Its probably a rooky problem but seem
> unable to solve it and I apologise! ;)
> I'd like to change to keyboard layout from us to uk.
>
> Ideally I'd like to set the keyboard layout in the config.scm file
> and 'guix system reconfigure'
> Is this possible.?

I don't think so, you can use 'console-keymap-service' but it is for
console only (the same as you would use 'loadkeys' command)...
Or maybe you can by modifying xorg configuration file (see (info "(guix)
X Window") in the manual) and adding something like this to it:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier                  "Keyboard0"
    MatchIsKeyboard             "yes"
    MatchDevicePath             "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver                      "evdev"
    Option "XkbLayout"          "gb,us"
EndSection

But it is more simple just to use setxkbmap as you did on other distro.

> I use DWM window manager and in my xsession file on other computer
> (running voidlinux) I've a line with "setxkbmap gb” which does the
> job. Which package does 'setxkbmap' belong to in guix, I can't seam
> to locate it. and if does not exist what other tools are there

setxkbmap is in the 'setxkbmap' package, so after "guix package -i
setxkbmap", I think you can just add "setxkbmap gb" to "~/.xsession"
file (I'm not sure as I've never used this method).

--
Alex