Re: guix installed Emacs

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: guix installed Emacs
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:39:47 +0200

  export XDG_DATA_DIRS="$HOME/.guix-profile/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS"

Do icons appear after this?

Yes, they do ;-) Thanks to the both of you, Alex and Jean Louis !

I have some news about this

Suddenly I couldn't log in anymore as catonano. The login window didn't let the desktopo come up, rather it popped up again and again

I logged in as root and saw some gvfs and gsettings segfaults in the dmesg output.

The only new thing was the XDG_DATA_DIRS setting, so I commented it and than I could log in again as catonano

Of course Emacs icons aren't there anymore, but I can live with that. I didn't use them anyway

While looking for a solution I also found this

$ cat ./.config/user-dirs.dirs
# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
#
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Scrivania"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Scaricati"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Modelli"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Pubblici"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documenti"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Musica"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Immagini"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Video"

There's no XDG_DATA_DIRS so you wouldn't immediately think of any conflict

It worked again after commenting that setting nonetheless.

Just for your reference