Re: Arch Linux locale-gen tries to use /run/current-system

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Arch Linux locale-gen tries to use /run/current-system
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 20:53:12 +0300

Myles English (2016-05-12 02:52 +0300) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying guix on Arch Linux.  While updating the system package to
> glibc 2.23 I get this error:
>
> $ locale-gen
> Generating locales...
>   en_GB.UTF-8...cannot create temporary file:
>   /run/current-system/locale/2.22/locale-archive.nfq78F: No such file or
>   directory

"locale-gen" script runs "localedef" command (which is from "glibc"
package).  So I think that the Guix's localedef is started.  My guess is
you installed "glibc" into your guix user profile, and
"~/.guix-profile/bin" takes preference over other directories in your
$PATH.  Could you check "which localedef"?

If it's true, why did you install glibc in your profile?  I think it is
not needed.

OTOH if my guess is correct, this environment problem should happen only
for your user, but the root user shouldn't have localedef in its PATH.
So you probably keep your user environment during system update (maybe
with "sudo -E pacman -S ..." or something similar), right?  How did you
start pacman?

--
Alex