Re: not tarred source file

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: not tarred source file
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 22:57:10 +0200

Hi!

Catonano <address@hidden> skribis:

> after having successfully packaged (locally) the Zenburn theme and
> Smartparens, I am preparing the package for clojure-mode
>
> But for the first time it happens that the downloaded source code is not
> tarred so tar fails and so does the unpack phase.
>
> How do I instruct the origin object not to attempt untarring my source ?

It’s OK if the ‘origin’ denotes a file that is not a tarball.

However, the build procedure will have to pay attention for that.  For
instance, the default sequence of phases of ‘gnu-build-system’ includes
an ‘unpack’ phase, which is inappropriate here:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Build-Systems.html

There are a couple of examples, e.g., paredit in emacs.scm.  Most of
them use ‘trivial-build-system’, which requires explicitly writing the
build/install operations.

HTH!

Ludo’.