Re: not tarred source file

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: not tarred source file
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 23:04:24 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2016-05-15 23:57 +0300) wrote:

> Catonano <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> after having successfully packaged (locally) the Zenburn theme and
>> Smartparens, I am preparing the package for clojure-mode
>>
>> But for the first time it happens that the downloaded source code is not
>> tarred so tar fails and so does the unpack phase.
>>
>> How do I instruct the origin object not to attempt untarring my source ?
>
> It’s OK if the ‘origin’ denotes a file that is not a tarball.
>
> However, the build procedure will have to pay attention for that.  For
> instance, the default sequence of phases of ‘gnu-build-system’ includes
> an ‘unpack’ phase, which is inappropriate here:

Specifically for this case Federico added 'uncompressed-file-fetch'
method.  Sorry, I forgot to answer at the time, so I answer here.  You
said it's a rare use case¹, but it is actually not.  Many elpa packages
are just single elisp files, so such method can be really useful.  I'm
going to switch our "trivial" emacs packages (paredit, let-alist and
magit-svn) to "emacs-build-system" using this method, if no one will do
it before me.

¹ http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-01/msg00378.html

--
Alex