Re: chicken scheme

From: John J Foerch
Subject: Re: chicken scheme
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 08:11:19 -0400

> John J Foerch <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Installing gcc-toolchain helped, and there are no more compilation
>> errors.  Another error came up in trying to install the built files.
>> Here is my log:
>>
>>  <SNIP>
>
> I think we need to build CHICKEN such that it uses /var/lib instead of
> /gnu/store/…-chicken/var/lib (the latter is immutable.)  I suppose
> that’s how it works on other distros, right?  (With this approach only
> root can install software, though.)
>
> Do you know how to make this change?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

First a question about /var/lib, and please excuse the newbie question.
If chicken extensions were installed to /var/lib, wouldn't that go
against the spirit of guix of keeping every program isolated?  Isn't
/var/lib global state?

I have just learned about 'guix import', and have the thought that a
package importer would be the better way to go.  Eventually I would like
to package software that I've written in CHICKEN for GuixSD, and only a
package importer would make that feasible.

I will definitely give it a try to add such a feature to guix, and will
follow whatever advice you may have.  In some ways I am still learning
the very basics of guix, so it may take me a bit to get up to speed.

Thank you,

--
John Foerch