Newbie packagers

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Newbie packagers
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 15:21:10 +0200

I put this in a separate email, as it's becoming long...

The packaging doc:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Defining-Packages
is good, but still not enough for beginners.

Essentially it's missing what is hidden behind "Without being a Scheme ..."

It wouldn't hurt to have the scheme non-obvious parts explained:

- the comma operator
- the backquote operator
- the quote operator
- the arobase operator (is it for list unpacking ?)
- the percent operator
- the #: operator
- the different module import things (#:use-module vs (use-modules) vs ...)

(Forgive my probably-not-appropriate terms.)

No need to explain function calls, string quoting and simple stuff, though.

I tried to find a good tutorial explaining all of those, but couldn't. I found
snippets that helped me understand some of those, but they were scattered,
and it's still blurry.

Specific explanations will be more useful that a general scheme tutorial, the
hello.scm is good as an example :

(inputs `(("gawk" ,gawk)))

here we use the backquote because ...
the comma is there for ...

(arguments `(#:configure-flags '("--enable-silent-rules")))

here the #: means ...
we use the simple quote because ...

Obviously I cannot write that myself, but if someone does the explanation,
I volunteer the .texi translation...

--
Vincent Legoll