Re: Newbie packagers

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Newbie packagers
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 01:30:59 -0700

Vincent Legoll <address@hidden> writes:

> The big problem with the abbreviated forms is that they're not easily
> googlable, if I knew their long names, I could've found them in online
> doc...

FYI, one of the best ways to find that information is to look it up in
the manual by index or by searching the entire manual for the string.

For example, in both the standard Info reader and the Emacs info reader,
you can press "i", type ",@" (without quotes), hit enter, and you will
magically arrive at the right section.  If that doesn't work, you
can also do C-s to incrementally search the entire manual for the string
in question.

This works in any well-written manual authored with GNU Texinfo.  For
example, if you want to know about the "perror" function from the GNU C
Library, just pull up the manual and type "i", then "perror", the hit
enter.

This is often faster and more accurate than doing an Internet search for
the symbols.  It's a great feature of any manual written in GNU Texinfo!

--
Chris