Re: Kernel module arguments and custom /proc settings

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Kernel module arguments and custom /proc settings
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 17:24:32 +0200

Adam Bolte <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:47:36PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Could you try writing the following in /run/modprobe.d/fan.conf:

>> options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1
>>
>> and then rebooting?
>>
>> If everything goes well, this .conf file will be taken into account when
>> udev asks to load ‘thinkpad_acpi’.
>
> I can confirm that this worked fine. Thanks!

Good!

>> Eventually we should provide a way to specify /run/modprobe.d entries
>> via the ‘operating-system’ config, though.
>
> Sounds good. As someone who comes from a background in configuration
> management, I would much rather have the entire system configuration
> defined in a state configuration file than do manual once-off edits
> (which is a part of what has attracted me to the project).

Agreed.

> Now I just need to figure out how to set /proc entries on boot. I
> guess I need to write a "service" for that, although I'm currently a
> complete a noob at Scheme.

Right, you need a service that extends ‘activation-service-type’ with a
snippet along the lines of:

  #~(call-with-output-file "/proc/something"
      (lambda (port)
        (display "whatever" port)))

Hopefully people can provide more guidance on IRC or on this list.

> Actually, that's why I purchased this X60 100% free
> software-compatible laptop - so I could better experiment and learn
> these technologies.
>
> Ultimately there are a number of programs I use under Debian which I
> would like to create Guix packages for when I'm more comfortable with
> how it all works. Then it's just a matter of finding the time to read
> and experiment. :)

Sounds good.  :-)

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.