Re: Unable to upgrade packages

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Unable to upgrade packages
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 17:55:38 -0400

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 08:05:52PM +0100, Niall Dooley wrote:
> On 14 May 2017 at 17:42, Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:
> > guix pull --fallback (requires a recent Guix)
> >
> > guix build --fallback
> > /gnu/store/db91i1ahr08b9n7hcjj2mmr4a1648ggz-guix-latest.drv
> >
> > I picked that derivation file out of your log after "The following
> > derivations will be built:".
> >
> > In either case, you'll build the missing package from source.
>
> So as I'm running Guix 20170414.08 I don't believe I have a recent
> enough version for option 1. In any case, option 2 is still
> unsuccessful for me too though

Okay, if `guix pull --fallback` complains about not understanding
'--fallback', then option 1 won't work.

> I didn't record the output on this occasion. I suspect at this point I
> did something wrong in my use of Guix.

It would be great to get the output so we know what happened, but I
understand if you don't want to take the time to run the command again.
I doubt you did anything wrong, however.

> Is there a way to cleanly remove and re-install Guix. I don't mind as
> I only have a handful of packages installed.

Removing these directories should do the trick:

$ rm -r /gnu && rm -r /var/guix && rm -r /etc/guix

There is also a symlink owned by each Guix user:

$ rm ~/.config/guix/latest