Re: grub not properly installing in GuixSD

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: grub not properly installing in GuixSD
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 23:47:14 +0200

Joshua Branson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I’m currently trying to dual boot Arch Linux and GuixSD on a desktop machine
> that I built.  GuixSD seems to be installing well, but grub in not properly
> installing.  I’m trying to boot using grub-efi.
>

> After I run guix system init /mnt/etc/bare-bones.scm  /mnt
>

> I get this error:
>

> grub-install: error:
> /gnu/store/ipwgwqaarp304r82…….-grub-efi-2.02/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh
> doesn’t exist.  Please specify —target or —directory.
>
> guix system: error: failed to install GRUB on device /dev/sda1
>

> I believe that for some reason guixSD is install guix in a BIOS way.  At
> least that’s what this ask ubuntu forum says:
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/763472/what-can-i-do-to-fix-this-error-on-grub-efi/763746
>    Apparently grub should be trying to install via X86_64….

Indeed. The error above indicates GRUB could not detect a UEFI system
and falls back to BIOS (i386-pc), but can't find the required files.

> Now here’s detail about my set up.
>

> parted p
> /dev/sda1     500MB or so     vfat partition.
> /dev/sda2     20 GB  Arch root
> /dev/sda3    1GB swap
> /dev/sda4    /home    for both Arch and GuixSD
> /dev/sda5   /   for GuixSD.
>
> The partition table is using GPT.

Looks good.

> Arch linux is already installed.  It boots using UEFI, but Arch mounts
> /dev/sda1  to /boot.
>
> I booted guixSD via a usb-stick.  I believe that I booted in BIOS mode.  I
> was unable to get the usbstick to boot via UEFI.

How old is your system, and in particular the mainboard? Do you know the
brand/model? I wonder if this is one of those famous systems with 32-bit
firmware and 64-bit CPU.

Is the GuixSD install image detected if you disable legacy BIOS support
altogether in your firmware? If not, can you test if the i686
installation image works?