Re: various packaging issues

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: various packaging issues
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 16:32:45 +0200

Dave Love <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> One example is “kentutils” in (gnu packages bioinformatics).  It has
>> “samtabix” among its native-inputs and these additional sources are
>> unpacked in a separate build phase “prepare-samtabix”.
>
> Ah, thanks!
>
> Has anyone done or considered a rough idiom conversion guide from RPM
> specs (maybe also for dpkg, but that's less prescribed)?  I can see
> possible problems, but it might be useful.

Not that I know of, but why not.

Honestly it’s unclear to me that this would bring much to
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Packages.html>
and related sections.  Call it propaganda if you want, but I still find
this much simpler than Debian packaging (I’m not too familiar with RPM.)

Ludo’.