Re: Enable modules in Linux configuration.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Enable modules in Linux configuration.
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 07:45:35 -0400

Dmitry Nikolaev <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to set up GuixSD on Reiser4 file system. I've succeeded
> with patching and compiling Linux with Reiser4 patch, but I've found
> that reiser4 module is disabled by default. Everything I did was
> pointless 8-]
>
> How do I enable Reiser4 module in Linux configuration? As far as I
> know I need to add "REISER4_FS=m" to .config after running "make
> defconfig", but before "make".

You would also need to add Reiser4-related code to (gnu system
linux-initrd) and (gnu build file-systems).  Search for "btrfs" in our
source tree to get an idea of what code needs to be added.

> One more question for GuixSD maintainers: will you add
> linux-libre-reiser4, libaal and reiser4progs packages to main package
> repository if I'll send you patches?

As long as the licenses comply with the GNU FSDG, I see no obstacle to
merging 'libaal' and 'reiser4progs' to the main repository.

However, 'linux-libre-reiser4' makes me a bit nervous.  As the de-facto
maintainer of our linux-libre packages, my main concern is the
additional maintenance burden going forward.  Every time a new major
version of 'linux-libre' is released, the job of updating and testing
the reiser4 patch would fall on my shoulders.

However, I can tell you from personal experience that it is quite easy
to run GuixSD from your own private git branch, and to periodically
rebase your local changes on our upstream master branch (or, if you
prefer, to merge upstream master into your local branch).  I've been
doing this for a long time.  My method is to have a git checkout in my
home directory that is always kept in good working order, and then to
put the following script in ~/bin/guix and ~root/bin/guix:

  #!/bin/sh
  exec /home/mhw/guix/pre-inst-env guix "$@"

I also add "PATH=/home/mhw/bin:$PATH" to my .bash_profile, and the
analogous thing for root.  Let me know if you need help setting this up.

     Regards,
       Mark