Re: Problems with GNU Parallel and ulimit

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: Problems with GNU Parallel and ulimit
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:07:18 -0400

On 08/15/2017 at 00:14 Arun Isaac writes:

> Leo Famulari writes:

>>> It works fine for me using Guix on a foreign OS, and has since I can
>>> remember.
>>> ben
>>
>> Same here. Arun, can you give some more details about your system?
>
> This is probably a problem only on GuixSD systems. Could you try on
> GuixSD instead of using Guix on a foreign distro?

I think you are correct. I run GuixSD and, after installing parallel I
get ...

***
address@hidden ~$ ls | parallel echo
Academic tradition requires you to cite works you base your article on.
If you use programs that use GNU Parallel to process data for an article in a
scientific publication, please cite:

  O. Tange (2011): GNU Parallel - The Command-Line Power Tool,
  ;login: The USENIX Magazine, February 2011:42-47.

This helps funding further development; AND IT WON'T COST YOU A CENT.
If you pay 10000 EUR you should feel free to use GNU Parallel without citing.

To silence this citation notice: run 'parallel --citation'.

parallel: Warning: No more processes: Decreasing number of running jobs to 7.
parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -u or /etc/security/limits.conf may help.
parallel: Warning: No more processes: Decreasing number of running jobs to 6.
parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -u or /etc/security/limits.conf may help.
parallel: Warning: No more processes: Decreasing number of running jobs to 5.
parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -u or /etc/security/limits.conf may help.
parallel: Warning: No more processes: Decreasing number of running jobs to 4.
parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -u or /etc/security/limits.conf may help.
parallel: Warning: No more processes: Decreasing number of running jobs to 3.
parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -u or /etc/security/limits.conf may help.
parallel: Warning: No more processes: Decreasing number of running jobs to 2.
parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -u or /etc/security/limits.conf may help.
parallel: Warning: No more processes: Decreasing number of running jobs to 1.
parallel: Warning: Raising ulimit -u or /etc/security/limits.conf may help.
parallel: Error: No more processes: cannot run a single job. Something is wrong
at bin.
address@hidden ~$ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 0.13.0.1765-9ef59
Copyright (C) 2017 the Guix authors
address@hidden ~$
***

I am not a parallel user so I can't comment further.

HTH - George