Re: Best practices for Guix environment variables on foreign distro

From: Jorge
Subject: Re: Best practices for Guix environment variables on foreign distro
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 22:32:02 +0000

March 12, 2018 7:18 AM, address@hidden wrote:

> The suggestion is to source ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile from
> ~/.bash_profile (or similar).
I have just tried your suggestion.  I verified that it does not pollute
GNOME’s environment and it does set up Guix environment variables in
Emacs.  However, it does not set up the Guix environment on
gnome-terminal, as I suspected.  According to Bash’s info manual[1],
interactive non-login Bash shells (such as those spawned by
gnome-terminal) only read `~/.bashrc' or the file specified by the
`--rcfile' option, but *not* (by default) `/.bash_profile'.

Footnotes
─────────

[1] [info:bash#Bash Startup Files]

- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback
- Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z
- Free/libre software for Android: https://f-droid.org/
- [[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html][What is free software?]]