Re: Trouble with adding a package

From: Nadya Voronova
Subject: Re: Trouble with adding a package
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 04:10:19 +0300

Yep, i tried to do it.
I tried to add it to another file (with (define-public tcal)). And i tried to add my file to "" (and it appeared in the Makefile). In both cases, nothing happened, still unknown package.
So i tried "./pre-inst-env guix build hello" to confirm that this is the problem of my package. And my terminal just froze. It seems that this is not what should have happened.
Also, while I was experimenting I tried "sudo ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group = guixbuild". And it froze my terminal too.

Hi Nadya,

> I've got guix source code from repository, added my definition in
> "gnu/package" and run "guix environment guix", "./bootstrap", "./configure
> --localstatedir=/var" and "make" and then tried "./pre-inst-env guix build
> my-package". And it doesn't see my package.

Please add the package to an existing package module (one of the files
in “gnu/packages/”).  Modules usually hold more than a single package.

To make this work with your package definition you need to bind your
package _expression_ to a public variable:

    (define-public tcalc
      (package
        (name "tcalc")
        …))

> Also i have this thing appear almost every time i use guix:
> guile: warning: failed to install locale
> warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
> Don't think that's relevant but it's a little bit annoying.

This is unrelated.  You should be able to remove these warnings by
installing the glibc-locales package and setting the GUIX_LOCPATH
environment variable to “$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale”.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net