Re: Locale error: Falling back to C locale

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Locale error: Falling back to C locale
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 15:44:12 +0530

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The problem is gone for Emacs (hurray!) but not for stow.
>>
>> What does it mean?  That glibc _must_ be installed on all user profiles?
>
> Certainly not.  I’ve never installed glibc into any profile.  glibc is
> linked with programs.

So why did it fix it for Emacs?

> Have you upgraded stow?  If not, it’s possible that it is linked with an
> older version of glibc and thus cannot use the glibc-utf8-locales for
> glibc 2.26 that you have installed.

Upgrading did the trick.

If I get it right, updating glibc or the locales does not trigger an
upgrade of all packages that were built with older versions, hence the
issue.

Should Guix packages depend on glibc so that an upgrade of glibc
upgrades all glibc-dependent packages?

--
Pierre Neidhardt