Re: trouble with guix pull and guile-git

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: trouble with guix pull and guile-git
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 18:28:12 +0200

Hello Scott,

"Scott N. Walck" <address@hidden> skribis:

> The FSF's LibrePlanet last weekend has reinvigorated my interest
> to learn more about and start using guix.  I have a version of
> the guix package manager on my machine from last year.  It's a
> little newer than 0.13.0.  I tried using guix pull to update it,
> but there is a problem as the transcript below shows.  I suspect
> that the address
>
> https://gitlab.com/amirouche/guile-git/
>
> is no longer correct.  It looks like the source for guile-git is at
>
> https://gitlab.com/guile-git/ .

Indeed.

> address@hidden:~/computer/PackageManagement/guix$ guix --version
> guile: warning: failed to install locale
> warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
> guix (GNU Guix) 20170526.16
> Copyright (C) 2017 the Guix authors
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> address@hidden:~/computer/PackageManagement/guix$ guix pull
> guile: warning: failed to install locale
> warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
>
> Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.Gzf8nt
> From https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/master.tar.gz...
>  ....tar.gz                                 182KiB/s 01:23 | 14.7MiB
> transferred
> unpacking '/gnu/store/idnncmjzlk1vmwggsqgwdg5dqzpshamq-guix-latest.tar.gz'...
> substitute: guix substitute: warning: ACL for archive imports seems to be
> uninitialized, substitutes may be unavailable
> Cloning into
> '/gnu/store/1rdw2svz4pyislan7q67mnk70c13sczm-guile-git-0.0-2.06f9fc3-checkout'...
> fatal: unable to update url base from redirection:
>   asked for:
> https://gitlab.com/amirouche/guile-git/info/refs?service=git-upload-pack
>    redirect: https://gitlab.com/users/sign_in
> environment variable `PATH' unset

The problem here is that the Guix you have is referring to the old URL,
so it fails to download and build Guile-Git.

However, this source code is mirrored on mirror.hydra.gnu.org.  So
normally, Guix would download this guile-git checkout directly from
mirror.hydra.gnu.org, provided you enabled substitutes:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Substitute-Server-Authorization.html

Could you check if you went through that authorization step?

HTH,
Ludo’.