Re: MTP & Guix

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: MTP & Guix
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 12:30:26 -0400

Hello Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Basically, add this to your ~/.emacs if you want it to connect
>> automatically to your device:

>> (setq tramp-adb-connect-if-not-connected t)
>>
>> And then fire it up using C-x C-f /adb::.
>>
>> You need the cable for the initial adb connection, but after you
>> continue the connection over TCP/IP wirelessly, by doing [2]:
>>
>>> adb shell ip -f inet addr show wlan0   # Find your phone's IP address
>>> adb tcpip 5555
>>> adb connect <your-device-ip>:5555
>
> Nice, thanks for the tip!
> I cannot try it out now and I'm no Android expert, so first question is:
> does it require any special setup on the phone side?

You need to enable the 'developer mode' or 'debug mode' on your
phone. This is the (somewhat ridiculous) official way to enable it [0]:

1. Open the Settings app.
2. (Only on Android 8.0 or higher) Select System.
3. Scroll to the bottom and select About phone.
4. Scroll to the bottom and tap Build number 7 times.
5  Return to the previous screen to find Developer options near the bottom.

You'll probably also want to install the android-udev-rules (we have a
package for it) to enable using adb as your normal user (instead of
root) [1].

HTH!

Maxim

[0]  https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options