Re: Guix packaging tutorial with hand holding

From: 白い熊
Subject: Re: Guix packaging tutorial with hand holding
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2019 00:20:48 +0200 (GMT+02:00)

Thu May 30 08:56:58 GMT+02:00 2019 Ricardo Wurmus :

> You don’t need Github or any other externally hosted repository. You
 > can use a local git directory just fine.

So in the channel definition using a local directory what would the syntax be
instead of the “(url…” bit?

> > Second, working on the Guix git checkout is recommended as the best
 > > way. What is the way of working with Guix git checkout on a GuixSD
 > > system? I.e. should I pull, build it — the git. Then what? Where to
 > > run guix pull and guix package -u — in the git, leave the SD versions
 > > un-updated?
 >
 > When working with the Guix source code in a git checkout you don’t
 > generally use “guix pull”. Instead you use “./pre-inst-env guix” to
 > have Guix act on the modified source code. Using the git checkout is
 > how you can modify modules that are part of Guix, which is how you can
 > create patches that we can apply to Guix, so that everybody benefits
 > from your changes.
 >
 > If you want to keep using the git checkout as your primary installation
 > of Guix you can do that too, but combined with “guix pull” it’s a little
 > inconvenient.

So what would the recommended workflow be, with a git checkout on top of GuixSD?

— Only use “guix pull, guix package -u, and guix system reconfigure” for GuixSD
for root to have the base system up-to-date?
 — Don't use “guix pull” as regular user for GuixSD, but install user packages
from the git?
 — In git use “./configure --localstatedir=/var; make; make install”? Also
“make install”?
 — Then to install packages use “./pre-inst-env guix install”?

--
 Best regards / 宜しく御願い致します / S pozdravem / C уважением / Z poważaniem /
 Mit freundlichen Grüßen

白い熊