Re: Why are these derivations different?

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: Why are these derivations different?
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 13:25:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019, Marius Bakke wrote:

What's really going on with --no-grafts. Is it that guix on my less
powerful host has never seen the the ungoogled-chromium version build
against the older dependencies, so doesn't accept the older version that
could be grafted? I guess, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "fails to
realize the grafted derivation". Is that a bug?

Sorry, just a lazy and poor attempt at explaining what's going on...  :-)

No worries, I appreciate you taking the time to help me understand.

Sorry, I don't think that question was very clear. It probably means that
while I think I know what grafts are, I don't know enough about what's
going on to ask the question properly. I think this all could be summarized
as, "please explain more."

Grafts are are ignored in some parts of Guix.  In this case, if you
inspect the profile derivation when doing 'guix install -n
ungoogled-chromium', you can see that the computed profile.drv needs to
produce the ungrafted ungoogled-chromium-x.y.z.drv, because the
profile-builder references the _ungrafted_ package.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanics that follow, but I guess grafts are
only computed afterwards, recursively, for the generated profile.

Ok, thank help. Thank you.

Jack