Re: List available versions of package.

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: List available versions of package.
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 00:46:35 +0200

Hi Philippe,

> Also, is it expected that packages from guix commits dating
> from a few years ago will still work in this setting? Thanks!

Commits before the introduction of inferiors likely won’t work,
unfortunately.

For running old versions I recommend writing new package variants
instead and including them in a channel.  Using inferiors is a good idea
when you want to reproduce a Guix environment that somebody else (or
your younger self) recorded, but I would not recommend them as a way to
make past software variants available.  If you are not interested in a
particular old state of the world but only care about a particular
version of a single piece of software (that may be built with current
toolchains and libraries) then package variants are a better idea.

For bioinfo package variants also take a look at the guix-bimsb channel:

    https://github.com/BIMSBbioinfo/guix-bimsb

(I should update the README to recommend using channels instead of
GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH…)

--
Ricardo