Re: bug#26608: channels.scm supporting substitutes

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: bug#26608: channels.scm supporting substitutes
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 22:14:11 +0100

Hi Nome

Thank you for your message.

You sent your email to all 3 bugs: address@hidden,
address@hidden, address@hidden. It is not a good
practise. Instead, it appears to me more appropriate to send to
address@hidden.

First note that these are closed:

 - 22629 on Sep 2nd 2018
 - 32022 on Dec 17th 2018

so what they were proposing now exist in master, I bet. ;-)

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 21:40, Nome Grey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ludovic posted some channels.scm code in September 2018 supporting using more
> substitutes.

Second, it will help to point exactly where Ludo posted what you are
referencing to. Because 22629, 26608 and 32022 are big threads. :-)

> Unfortunately his code no longer functions due to an upgrade of guile-json in
> guix.

If you know more or less the date, you can find the commit. And *if*
this commit is after the big 0.15 overhaul, you can 1. Guix checkout
with "guix pull --commit=<hash>" then 2. Git checkout your guix clone
to this commit and 3. use "guix environment guix" to spawn an shell
with all the dependencies available. And the code you are referencing
should work.

> Maybe I can learn enough to upgrade it to check the 'guix-master' evaluations
> to find the latest build of key packages.  We'll see.

Third, please describe what you are trying to achieve.

All the best,
simon