Re: "no code for module"

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: "no code for module"
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 23:57:56 +0100

Nathan Dehnel <address@hidden> writes:

> I made a package which is basically a clone of the "hello" package example.
>
> (use-modules (guix packages)
>              (guix download)
>              (guix build-system gnu)
>              (guix licenses))
> (define-public deadbeef
>  (package
>    (name "deadbeef")
>    (version "1.8.2")
>    (source (origin
>              (method url-fetch)
>              (uri (string-append
> "https://github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/archive/"; version
>                                  ".tar.gz"))
>              (sha256
>               (base32
>                "1wsx62gi1bfd9rx5br2gprq4q3sfp7iqj1inxhhiqjasbm85vg50"))))
>    (build-system gnu-build-system)
>    (synopsis "A music player for *nix-like systems and OS X")
>    (description
>     "GNU Hello prints the message \"Hello, world!\" and then exits.  It
> serves as an example of standard GNU coding practices.  As such, it supports
> command-line arguments, multiple languages, and so on.")
>    (home-page "https://deadbeef.sourceforge.io/";)
>    (license gpl2)))
>
> I added it to a channel, and added the channel, then ran guix pull. I
> got this error:
>
> (repl-version 0 0)
> (exception misc-error (value #f) (value "~A ~S") (value ("no code for
> module" (deadbeef))) (value #f))

You are not showing us how you are refering to this file.  “deadbeef” is
a variable, but something in your channel specification treats it as a
module.  The easiest way to fix this is to turn the above code into a
proper module, i.e. a file with a define-module expression at the top
and a matching name.

Can you show us the rest of your code?

--
Ricardo