Re: How to present Guix to a wider audience

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: How to present Guix to a wider audience
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 19:18:11 +0100

Hi Pierre,

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 at 11:04, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> So I was wondering: do we have an article that introduces Guix for the
> general public?  It could be quite useful I believe.

AFAIK, nothing dedicated.

Browse the folders doc/ and talks/ in
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/

Note that broken symbolic links are fixed in a patched sent here [1].

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-12/msg00326.html

Well, it depends on what do you mean by "general public"?

To my knowledge -- and IMHO -- the talk by Chris at seagl-2018 is
didactic [2], the video by Carl Dong about Trusting Trust is really
well-explained [3], Julien wrote an article in French for JRES 2019
[4] and the associated video [5], an outdated article in French by
Ludo has the merit of existing [6].

Last but not least, all the videos [7] are a really good introduction
for(motivated) general public.

And I have tried to define concrete use-cases (based on "scientific"
workflows) in [1]; I would like to extend this as a Cookbook entry.
Whatever!

[2]
https://media.marusich.info/everyday-use-of-gnu-guix-chris-marusich-seagl-2018.webm
[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iShmUTEl8
[4] https://conf-ng.jres.org/2019/document_revision_5343.html?download
[5] https://replay.jres.org/videos/watch/c77b3a44-b75f-4c10-9f39-8fb55ae096d7
[6]
https://connect.ed-diamond.com/GNU-Linux-Magazine/GLMF-194/Gestion-de-paquets-sure-et-flexible-avec-GNU-Guix
[7] https://guix.gnu.org/videos/

Not sure that helps! :-(

Cheers,
simon

ps:
Stay tuned! :-)
Should Konrad release a new version of the well-known MOOC [8]? ;-)

[8] https://www.fun-mooc.fr/courses/course-v1:inria+41016+session02/about