Re: protect generations

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: protect generations
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 13:11:55 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 22:42, Marco van Hulten <address@hidden> wrote:

> One of the great features of Guix is that one can roll back his
> profile.  But I did a garbage collection (gc) that was too aggressive
> such that a relevant old profile disappeared.  I presume this is gone
> forever.

>From my understanding, yes gone but not necessary forever.

How did you instantiate the profile? Using a manifest file? Did the
profile use only one Guix commit or several?
How aggressive it was? What did you run?

> Is it possible to lock certain generations (of certain users) such that
> 'guix gc' would not touch it?

Interesting whislist.

Currently, the easiest way to protect the state of a profile is to
write down a manifest file, IMHO.
If this manifest file track the Guix commit and the targeted packages,
then you can re-instantiate this very profile whereever and whenever
you want to.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
simon