Re: GNOME Terminal: Horrible font after guix system reconfigure

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: GNOME Terminal: Horrible font after guix system reconfigure
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 09:21:37 -0500

 ---- On Wed, 08 Jan 2020 20:16:59 -0500 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden>
wrote ----
 > Sirgazil,
 >
 > sirgazil 写道:
 > > Maybe there is a bug with the defaults (at least with the
 > > spacing)?
 >
 > Yes, although the spacing is simply a side-effect of a bad or
 > missing default font.  This is what variable-width (proportional)
 > fonts look like when rendered as fixed-width (monospace) cells.
 >
 > If you're lucky, GNOME is innocent, and a stale fontconfig cache
 > is to blame.
 >
 > 1. Does /var/cache/fontconfig exist?  If so, remove it (you'll
 > probably need sudo)
 > 2. Regardless of step 1: run ‘fc-cache -r’ (without sudo) and
 > 3. Open a new terminal[0]
 > 4. …profit?

No profit.

1. fontconfig existed, I removed it
2. run "fc-cache -r"
3. Closed all terminal instances, started new, but nothing. Also restarted the
desktop session, and nothing.

Tobias, why is it that you have to clean caches by hand on the Guix System? I
don't understand why the system can't do this for me...

Maybe the manual should have a troubleshooting section and we could add
something there about dealing with font problems? Because, currently, the
manual says that you may need "fc-cache -rv" to refresh the font cache, but
only when you are using Guix on a foreign distribution.