Re: protect generations

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: protect generations
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 00:50:09 +0100

Marco van Hulten <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello—
>
> One of the great features of Guix is that one can roll back his
> profile.  But I did a garbage collection (gc) that was too aggressive
> such that a relevant old profile disappeared.  I presume this is gone
> forever.
>
> Is it possible to lock certain generations (of certain users) such that
> 'guix gc' would not touch it?

There are AFAIK two ways in which 'guix gc' can delete "live" profiles:

1. you used the '-d' option, which deletes old profile generations,
   optionally filtering on age
2. the profile was inaccessible/invisible to gc (e.g. on a mounted drive
   that was unavailable)

Do either of these scenarios ring a bell?