About "asdf-build-system/source" and dependent packages

From: NOEU
Subject: About "asdf-build-system/source" and dependent packages
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 17:32:38 +0900

Hello

I am worried about the build-system of the GNU Guix package management system and the resolution of package dependencies. Please help if you like.

I wanted to use the GNU Guix package management system to create a private channel for Common Lisp ASDF packages.

I am working while checking "gnu/packages/lisp-xyz.scm".
In lisp-xyz.scm, define the package for SBCL, and then add the ECL build package and source package to Is defined as

;; for SBCL
(define-public sbcl-package-name
  (inputs
    `((" package-name-a ", sbcl-package-name-a)
       ("package-name-b", sbcl-package-name-b)))
  (build-system asdf-build-system / sbcl)
  ...)

;; for Source
(define-public cl-package-name
  (sbcl-package-> cl-source-package sbcl-package-name))

;; for ECL
(define-public ecl-package-name
  (sbcl-package-> ecl-package sbcl-package-name))

To make such a definition, "guix package -i cl-package-name" will install the dependent "package-name-a" and "package-name-b" at the same time. You can find it under $GUIX_PROFILE/share/common-lisp/source.

However, I simply wanted to define a package to install the source, and defined the package using "asdf-build-system/source" as follows:

(define-public cl-package-name
  (inputs
    `((" package-name-a ", cl-package-name-a)
       ("package-name-b", cl-package-name-b)))
  (build-system asdf-build-system / source)
  ...)

When this definition is made and "guix package -i cl-package-name" is executed, the dependent package specified in "inputs" will not be installed. (Dependent packages are also installed in asdf-build-system/source. It is executed after rewriting to the definition used)

Is there a way to automatically install dependent(inputs) packages when using "asdf-build-system/source"?

Best regards,
NOEU