Re: What is the standard way to install a package so that all users may

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: What is the standard way to install a package so that all users may use the package?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 10:15:40 -0700

On 2020-03-16, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
> I run mostly Debian and Debian derived systems.  One week ago I
> installed Guix OS on a Thinkpad laptop.  The install was smooth.
> Then I, as root, installed Emacs.  Of course, my regular non-root
> user "jays", saw no Emacs.  I then, by some command of
> symlinking, got Emacs visible to jays, indeed, the same
> executable of Emacs is now used by both root and jays.
>
> What is the standard way to install a Guix package so that all
> users on a single hardware box, can use the package?  That is,
> I'd like an install procedure so that by means of the procedure,
> installation of a package is like, from one angle of view, just
> using apt on a Debian system.

You would install it as part of the system configuration
(e.g. config.scm) and then run:

  guix system reconfigure /path/to/config.scm

Recent versions of guix system will include the previously used
config.scm and you can use that as a file to tweak:

  guix system list-generations

  Generation 12   Mar 15 2020 16:45:17    (current)
    file name: /var/guix/profiles/system-12-link
    configuration file: /gnu/store/...-configuration.scm

  cp /gnu/store/...-configuration.scm ~/config.scm

Edit that file to include the listed packages you want available for all
users and off you go.

Also a good idea to maintain this file in revision control, so you can
keep track of changes over time.

That said, each individual user being able to select their own software
is one of the great features of guix, though it takes a bit getting used
to the different workflow. It's generally recommended to keep the system
configuration small; to each their own, though. :)

live well,
  vagrant