Re: Scheduling and getting notifications in a desktop or window manager

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Scheduling and getting notifications in a desktop or window manager environment
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:54:08 -0500

Hi,

 ---- On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 02:32:42 -0500 Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden>
wrote ----
 > Hello,
 >
 > I've no direct experience with desktop notifications but...
 >
 > sirgazil <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > > I tried GNOME Calendar some time ago in the Guix System, I liked its
 > > simplicity, but it was not reliable (notified sometimes, sometimes
 > > not).
 >
 > What about orage? I tried that once and *maybe* it has a notification
 > system.

I didn't know about it, installed it tried out with Xfce, but it's buggy too.
For example:

* When adding a new event, the program crashes if you press the UTC button to
select your time zone (which the program doesn't figure out by itself).
* I didn't get notified when I added an event with an alarm.

 > I use radicale as my CalDAV/CardDAV server with vdirsyncer [1] on my GNU
 > machines to keep events and contacts in sync (with DAVx5 on Android)...

Yeah I'm looking for desktop solutions. I don't have the resources to selfhost
apps or services.

I'm considering using a wristwatch for all my computing again. The desktop
seems death :)

Thanks, Giovanni.