Re: Heap space when building SBCL packages

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Heap space when building SBCL packages
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 15:59:40 +0100

Hi Konrad,

> I am trying to figure out why sbcl-numcl fails to build since the update
> to SBCL 2.0.2. See here for a typical build log:
>
>    http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/2339924/details
>
> What happens is that SBCL runs out of heap space and stops. However, I
> can load numcl into SBCL 2.0.2 perfectly well when I load it via ASDF
> under my own user account.
>
> Therefore I suspect one of the following three possible causes:
>
>  1. The build daemon runs with memory restrictions that are too severe
>     for building binaries for numcl.

Hmmm, my intuition is that it would be surprising considering we build
very heavy packages.

>  2. Building binaries with SBCL takes more heap space than merely

I think probably not.  However there are different ASDF operation.  In the
Guix build system we use "program-op" which does not behave like the
default operation when loading a package.  This could be a factor here.

>  3. Guix' build systems does something that either limits heap space
>     or causes SBCL to require more of it.
>
> Does anyone have an idea on how to proceed to fix the problem?

Can you reproduce with SBCL 2.0 or SBCL 1.5?
Maybe report this issue to the SBCL issue tracker, they will probably
know what's going on.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt