Re: Guix development on GuixSD, recommended setup and process

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Guix development on GuixSD, recommended setup and process
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 08:32:14 -0400

Le 31 mars 2020 07:38:44 GMT-04:00, "白い熊" <address@hidden> a écrit :
>Hi Guix:
>
>I'd like to install GuixSD and experiment with Guix git development and
>contributing. For this I'd like to ask what the proper recommended
>setup would be.
>
>Concretely, how should I go about it:
>
>— First, logically, install GuixSD and set the system up.
>— Then clone the Guix git.
>
>Then though — would it be “smarter” to git update always the checkout
>and run programs from within the preenv leaving the underlying GuixSD
>system minimal for what needs to be set up in the system?
>
>I.e. all user applications, like browser, office, would be installed
>and run from the git version?
>
>Or would be more recommended to install and run these from within the
>base GuixSD system?
>
>Why either?
>
>Is there any other interface between the GuixSD system and the git
>version I should be aware of or utilize?
>
>Many thanks for your advice, if any.

Hi 白い熊,

I personnaly use the git checkout only to apply patches and try changes. It is
sometimes in a state that's broken because of my modifications, so I prefer not
to use it. I also have channels, and sometimes they break because of changes in
guix. In times like this, it is more convenient to roll back, wait for a fix in
the channels and pull again.

In terms of packages, they are the same: there is no difference between the
hash of a package built from a git commit and a package built from guix (pulled
at the same commit), so there is no more duplication than usual, especially
since I pull every few days anyway.

My system is always minimal, and I install packages in my user profile (or
actually my home manager's profile).

HTH!