Re: What LVM support is missing?

From: Michael Rohleder
Subject: Re: What LVM support is missing?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 18:37:57 +0200

Hey Simon!

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm thinking that having the root file system on LVM may be unsupported,
> so that manual could say that, but I'm not even sure that is true.  I
> haven't tried it though.  Perhaps 'lvm2' should be pre-installed on the
> default installation image to help move LVM support along.
>
> Another thought may be that constructing LVM partitions through the
> mapped-device mechanism is not supported:
>
> http://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Mapped-Devices.html
>
> however as far as I can tell, LVM is working just as well as LUKS/RAID
> here: LVM just doesn't need any command to start the devices.  The
> mapped-device approach appear to require out-of-band device creation for
> LUKS and RAID, just like is required for LVM.  A no-op
> `lvm-device-mapping' could be added for completeness, and it might run
> 'pvscan --active ay' or something like that if we really wanted to but
> I'm not sure when that would be useful.

I use a root fs on lvm.
What helped me a lot was this posting, where I stole most things:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2020-02/msg00285.html

What (currrently) isnt working is the lvm device-mapper and (for me more
important) lvmcache...

--
Fly Windows NT:
All the passengers carry their seats out onto the tarmac, placing the chairs