Re: Guix on the MNT Reform

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 18:30:05 +0000

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, May 8, 2020 5:06 PM, Christopher Lemmer Webber <address@hidden>
wrote:

> I'm very excited to see the MNT Reform launch:
>
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform/updates/the-campaign-is-live
>
> Completely hackable laptop; all the designs (that are possible) are
> libre, and you can even 3d print to replace many of the parts.
>
> However my impression is that running Guix on ARM is not necessarily
> straightforward. I haven't tried it yet.
>
> Most important specs:
>
> CPU: NXP/Freescale i.MX8MQ with 4x ARM Cortex-A53 cores (1.5 GHz),
> 1x Cortex-M4F core. CPU and RAM are on exchangeable SO-DIMM sized
> module.
> RAM: 4GB LPDDR4 memory
> GPU: Vivante GC7000Lite GPU with mainline Linux drivers and OpenGL
> 2.1, ES 2.0
>
> (My other main worry is: that's pretty light on RAM these days...!
> But hey, maybe incentive for me to cut the fat in the programs I use a
> bit more...)
>
> I am thinking of getting one and running Guix on it. It would be nice
> to know that I wouldn't be alone. :) Anyone else planning to get one
> and joing me on the journey on maybe the most hacker-oriented laptop
> ever?
>
> -   Chris

Hey Chris,

It's a great project, I've been checking the schematics and stuff myself and I
liked it a lot. It's a great reference design to build on top of.
I can't afford one atm but I can do my best to help you play with it.
I'm really interested on if it's able to run Guix and I'd like to know about
your experience with it.

Please keep me posted on your journey!

Best,
Ekaitz