Re: Few questions

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Few questions
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 13:32:48 +0200

Emmanuel,

Emmanuel Medernach 写道:
I deleted it with the very wrong method of "rm -Rf" of this local package
in the store, now I learned.

It's a common rite of passage.

However: I hope it didn't work out of the box and you had to jump through at least one flaming hoop… right? Guix-daemon goes to some trouble to bind-mount the store read-only. Running ‘rm -rf’ (even as root) should simply fail:

λ findmnt /gnu/store TARGET SOURCE FSTYPE OPTIONS
 /gnu/store /dev/sda1[/gnu/store] bcachefs ro,relatime,…
                                           ^^

There are probably ways in which bind-mounting could fail. If it really was that easy for you to hork your system, we'd like to know :-)

Kind regards,

T G-R