Re: Is there a NPM importer?

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Is there a NPM importer?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 16:21:37 -0400

Le 18 mai 2020 15:00:26 GMT-04:00, divoplade <address@hidden> a écrit :
>Hello Guix users :)
>
>Browsing through the web, I found a few discussions about an NPM
>importer.
>
>Nov 2018: https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg44700.html
>
>Mar 2017:
>https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00814.html
>
>What is the status of this?

When considering build-time dependencies, there are many cycles that makes an
importer almost impossible to create. There is some code that works (at least
it used to work) when you don't need a recursive import, but it would be
useless because most packages require thousands of packages at build time.

I haven't been working on this since quite some time, and I don't think I'm
going to take that time soon. If anyone is interested, I still think we need to
build a backtracking startegy in our importer infrastructure (we could have a
constraint solver do the job, but we would need complete information about the
npm repo. We can only look up package by package) and import a minimal path,
taking version constraints into account. Basically, backtrack on loops.