Re: How to configure a printer on Guix System

From: Christophe Pisteur
Subject: Re: How to configure a printer on Guix System
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 23:35:55 +0200

Le samedi 16 mai 2020 à 15:27 +0200, Marius Bakke a écrit :
> Christophe Pisteur <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Le vendredi 15 mai 2020 à 17:33 +0200, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice a
> > écrit :
> > > Christophe,
> > >
> > > (...)
> > > (Guix) System software is started by services that are part of
> > > your OPERATING-SYSTEM.  Here's part of my laptop's CUPS
> > > configuration:
> > >
> > >   (use-service-modules ···
> > >                        cups
> > >                        ···)
> > >   (operating-system
> > >     (services
> > >      (cons* ···
> > >        (service cups-service-type
> > >         (cups-configuration
> > >          (extensions
> > >           (list hplip-minimal
> > >                 ;; Required to display printer options,
> > >                 ;; even with IPP Everywhere everywhere.
> > >                 cups-filters
> > >                 ;; Other possible legacy drivers:
> > >                 ;; escpr foo2zjs foomatic-filters
> > >                 ;; hplip-minimal splix
> > >                 ))
> > >          (server-name host-name)
> > >          (host-name-lookups #t)
> > >          (web-interface? #t)
> > >          (default-paper-size "A4")
> > >          ;; You get the idea.
> > >          ···))
> > >        ···
> > >        %base-services-or-whatever)))
> >
> > Thank you for the explanation and for sharing this configuration.
> > My
> > problem is that I still don't understand guix well enough: I don't
> > know
> > in which file to write this configuration of cups (name and path),
> > nor
> > with what tool to define it (nano, terminal, etc.).
>
> Guix is deceptively simple.  This goes in your /etc/config.scm, like
> any other system-level change.  You probably already have a (services
> ...) in there: the challenge is to sew in the stanza provided by
> Tobias with your existing configuration.
>
> Afterwards you need to run 'guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm'.
>
> > Perhaps I do not have enough computer background to use guix to
> > date. It does not matter, I will eventually learn over time, not to
> > mention that some functions will be automated with the evolution of
> > the project, as is the case for the graphic installation.
>
> You should not need a computer background to use Guix.  In fact _no_
> background may be better, as Guix is radically different from any
> other operating system you may have used (unless you come from
> NixOS).
>
> The only thing required is patience to read the manual, and the
> courage to ask on IRC or mailing lists if you get stuck.  :-)

Hello,

Thank you for the detailed explanations. I'm almost there:
- I modified the file /etc/config.scm according to the indications of
Tobias G-R, added (gnu packages cups) in "use-modules", then performed
"guix reconfigure /etc/config.scm" and after restarting, I was able to
access the web interface of cups (http://localhost:631/).
- I added my network printer, used the ppd file from openprinting.org,
and the printer is recognized.
- when I print the test page, the cups web interface says that the
connection with the printer is established, but the printing fails due
to the error: "Filter failed".

In attached document, my config.scm file to know if it contains an
error and which filters are installed.

Any idea?

Christophe