Re: Guix closure size of a system?

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Guix closure size of a system?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 09:05:33 -0400

Le 19 mai 2020 08:50:39 GMT-04:00, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> a écrit :
>Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>>Moving the llvm libs to a "lib" output could reduce the closure size
>of
>>>many packages I believe.
>>>
>>>Thoughts?
>>
>> Llvm doesn't support that afaik.
>
>Does not support what?
>Arch Linux has a separate llvm-libs package, I suppose we can do
>something similar.
>
>> I've recently found that we have a 30MB static library in mozjs (a
>gdm dependency) that is described as unused by other packages in FS,
>and they suggest to remove it.
>>
>> Another easy win is the 30MB gnome-backgrounds which useless on my
>system, as I don't use gnome. Not sure why it's in the closure of gdm.
>>
>> We could gain 50MB in the closure of many software (but not the
>system) by placing gnutls guile bindings in their own output (for
>instance, icecat depends on ffmpeg which depends on gnutls which in
>turn depends on guile). This might still be useful to reduce the size
>of separate profiles.
>>
>> I'll probably send a some patches in the next few days :)
>
>Fantastic, and thankgs for your insights!

A separate /lib. Archlinux can do this because the package installs at the
expected /lib. I remember trying to set a libdir, but that failed because the
libdir and the rest of llvm didn't share the same prefix. Of course you can
still try, I'll be happy if you can find a way to split the package properly :)