Re: Appropriate way to use Guix API from a Guile program

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Appropriate way to use Guix API from a Guile program
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 15:43:56 -0500

The error is gone after reconfiguring, but I still have a question about using
Guix API from a Guile script.

 ---- On Thu, 21 May 2020 07:44:58 -0500 Marius Bakke <address@hidden> wrote
----
 > sirgazil <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I use Guix's GNU system.
 > >
 > > I had written a Guile script that called Guix procedures to manipulate
 > > profiles. I put it in a Guix package in a custom channel and installed it.
 > > It used to work, but now it fails with an error I can also reproduce when
 > > trying to do something similar from a Guile REPL. For instance:
 > >
 > > ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
 > > $ mkdir profile-x
 > > $ guile
 > > GNU Guile 3.0.2
 > > [...]
 > > scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (guix scripts package))
 > > scheme@(guile-user)> (guix-package "-m" "manifest.scm" "-p"
 > > "profile-x/profile-x")
 > > error: glibc-bootstrap-system-2.2.5.patch: patch not found
 > > ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
 >
 > There are a couple of things going on here.  Calling the Guix APIs from
 > Guile will use the 'system-installed' Guix, unless you have fiddled with
 > GUILE_LOAD_PATH.

Hmm, and is there any way for a Guile program installed as a Guix package to
use the modules of the Guix obtained by the user with "guix pull" and also
being able to take advantage of user-defined channels? Or is this just not
possible at all?

Because I just tried creating a profile using my script and a manifest that
includes one package from a custom channel of mine, and, as expected, I get an
error:

error: guile-glab: unknown package
error: failed to load 'requirements/guix.scm':
gnu/packages.scm:523:4: In procedure specification->package+output:
Throw to key `quit' with args `(1)'.