Re: profile symlink structure

From: vapnik spaknik
Subject: Re: profile symlink structure
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 17:14:40 +0000 (UTC)

> On Monday, May 25, 2020, 09:03:44 AM GMT+1, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> vapnik spaknik <address@hidden> writes:

>> In my case that directory only contains symlinks to
>> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/*/current-guix* symlinks, one of which is
>> missing (/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix-1-link), and there is
>> another link to ~/.config/guix/current-1-link which itself links directly to
>> a profile in /gnu/store
>>
>> I suspect that the previously mentioned anomalies are the reason why "guix
>> pull" fails for me with the following error when run as <USR>:
>>
>>> guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
>>> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/<USR>/current-guix-1-link"
>>
>> and which may have been caused by interrupting a "guix pull".
>
> The symlinking operations should be atomic, thus this can not happen.
> I suspect that your error is due to calling `sudo guix pull`.

OK, so I checked the manual again, and found out that I'm supposed to run `sudo
-i guix pull`, not `sudo guix pull` or `guix pull`. I've was trying both of the
latter two commands which would explain the unnecessary
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/ben/current-guix* symlinks (due to `guix pull`) and
/root/.config/guix/* symlinks (due to `sudo guix pull`).
Running `sudo -i guix pull` it seems to work.