Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 16:17:05 -0400

I'm not sure it's really accurate to categorize asking for a vanilla
copy of firefox, which might not comply with the FSDG, as nonfree
software.  The primary issue with Firefox that makes it qualify as
"nonfree" is that the add-ons tool brings you to something that might
guide a user towards nonfree software right?  Thus I think this isn't
exactly correct framing, since firefox itself isn't nonfree?  There is a
difference if I, as a user, install Firefox as free software, and I am
aware of the issue with the default extensions kit, and end up
installing no nonfree software on my computer, right?

Am I missing something?  What makes Firefox itself nonfree (which I
think is not quite the same thing as not compliant with the FSDG)?