Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 22:27:02 +0200

Hello!

Adonay is right that the project’s channels are not the place to discuss
third-party channels and distribution methods, especially channels and
tools that provide non-FSDG-compliant software.

As for Firefox, it pops up every now and then, but there seems to be a
lasting misunderstanding.  Firefox, as is, will not go into Guix because
it does not comply with several items of the FSDG, which the project is
committed to following (for example, by linking to Mozilla’s add-on
catalog, which contains non-free software.)

However, a version of Firefox stripped from the bits that make it
non-FSDG-compliant would be welcome.

This is essentially what IceCat is about, but IceCat is based on an LTS
version (I think that’s what you meant by “old”) and it enables various
privacy-enhancing plugins by default.

I think there were a few attempts to do that in the past, but they were
not completed, so we’re having this discussion again.  :-)
It might be that the “clean up” code we have for IceCat would work with
few modifications on the latest Firefox.

I hope this clarifies the situation!

Until then, happy web browsing.  :-)

Ludo’.