Re: Geiser and Guix - how to avoid long compilation steps?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Geiser and Guix - how to avoid long compilation steps?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 23:19:39 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> This has been a source of headaches for me too.  I like to run Geiser
> to hack my Guix checkout.  But if I forget to compile a (big) scheme
> file, geiser will grind to a halt when switching to a module that
> depends on the uncompiled file.
>
> Something weird: If I repeat the module switch, Geiser still takes ages
> to do it, as if it didn't persist the .go files (normally in
> ~/.cache/guile/ccache?)
>
> In my understanding, the solution here is to run `guix environment
> guix -- make` all the time.
>
> Maybe I'll add an override for geiser-mode-switch-to-repl-and-enter that
> compiles Guix automatically.
>
> Any other tip?

I run “make” before starting the REPL to avoid the problem you mention
(bah!), but from there on I can happily hack on my stuff.

A little-known feature of Emacs-Guix is C-c . u (guix-devel-use-module),
which allows you to load a module without compiling it with C-c C-k.
It’s fast and non-intrusive, unlike C-c C-k.

Ludo’.