Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages

From: Fredrik Salomonsson
Subject: Re: Questions about guix handling emacs packages
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 20:42:59 -0700

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure why that could be, but I merged a newer version of Magit
> recently.  If you guix pull now and upgrade your packages, you should
> get the new one.

Just did a pull, upgrade my packages and now magit works as expected.
Thanks!

> I also can recommend to stick to using just Emacs packages from Guix,
> and contributing the missing ones you encounter (as you found out, it's
> relatively simple, and fun! :-)).  This way you are sure to use packages
> that were byte compiled for your Emacs version.

Yeah, that's the path I'm going to take to avoid future headaches. And I
just got my first contribution merged into guix (yay!). I got some
feedback on what I did wrong. Which I'll try and not to repeat in the
coming package definitions I'm planing to make (cargo (the emacs mode),
flymake-shellcheck, glsl-mode and meson-mode).

Question regarding the emacs-xyz.scm. I see it is divided into four
different categories; Emacs hacking, Web browsing, Multimedia and
Miscellaneous. But what is the order for the package definitions in
those categories?

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g